Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

February Failures - Kauai Fabric Spree

First of all - I'm just joking about February being a failure.  I tease about it being a failure since I didn't even touch my sewing machine.  

I did succeed in my goal for February which was to think about/plan/and shop for my sewing/quilting for at least 20 minutes a day.   (DAGMT

I did a LOT of that.  

My goal for the year is...er...was to NOT start any new projects.
Yet - there's no way I'm going to Hawaii and coming home without something special. 

At the Kapaia Stitchery I found so many wonderful kits and patterns and the fabrics!  OH MY!   

Hubby found some place mats there  - and wanted to buy them $37.00.  NO way.  I can make them for less and I found this beautiful fabric. 
This fabric was partially designed by the owner of the Kapaia Stitchery and produced by Michael Miller for Kapaia Stitchery.  How exciting it that?
See?  It is even written on the salvage. 

As I was getting my 1 yard of fabric for the place mats, my hubby said "Are you sure you know how make those?"  

Really????  

It was too funny of a question to smack him.  I laugh every time I think about it.

So you know Hawaiian quilts are known for their two color-way applique.  I saw so many of the most beautiful patterns to buy.  I found the perfect one for me at the Kauai Museum and then ran (Okay drove) straight back to Kapaia for the fabrics.  It's a turtle pillow.  
Don't you just love that pattern?  It's okay if you don't.  It really speaks to me. 
I'm going to use the cream for the background. the green for the turtles and the blue/green for the water .  Of course I have to do something a little different and make it with 3 colors instead the of traditional 2 colors. 

I can't wait to start on it.

At a different quilt shop - Vicki's,  I found this "to die for" white on white.  I don't know what I will use it for, but I bought enough to do the back of a quilt.  

So there you have it; my fabrics from Kauai. 

Happy March Stitching,
Linda

2 comments:

  1. I think you showed great restraint in your shopping! I'm going to make a (small) Hawaiian quilt some day. I love your pattern and your fabric. Now get busy on those place mats! Are you sure you know how to make them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't the fabrics great? So bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete