Pages

Friday, February 15, 2019

Kindness & Generosity Blocks

I love doing hand stitching. 

Although I'm not that happy with this last one.  

I'll move on to the next one while I think about it.
Okay I do not care for Mushrooms - well I love them in food or raw, but in stitching not so much.  

I actually stopped doing the BOM years ago because I didn't know what to do instead of the mushrooms. 

As I was looking at the similar shape between the flowers and the shape of the mushroom heads - it occurred to me draw some bell shaped flowers and a bee.
I sized it to fit the mushroom area and using transfer paper drew it on the fabric.
Actually - I was rather pleased with myself as I've never thought up a design before.  

In the meanwhile, my sister called and asked if I would please give my BOMs to her as she loves them.  Aww - I'm so glad she does!  

I showed her my design and the mushroom one and do you know what she said?

She likes the mushrooms better!

Hahaha

Well, too late!  (I don't know if that transfer will come out of the fabric.)

You know how it is, sisters always like different things. 
Well, maybe it's just me and my sister.

The Kindness Block is my OMG for the month of February.
I also had a secret OMG.  The reason I didn't mention it is because I had NO faith in myself to complete it.

It is the backing for Serena's quilt.  Which is almost finished.
I've never done a pieced back before.  After reading a couple tutorials I just went for it.  It was actually a lot of work.  All that getting down on the floor and crawling around to measure (king size quilt) and up to sew and then down again - and going to the bedroom to iron.  

AND THEN!  I was 4 inches short on one side.

What the What?!


I was just too tired and had to quit for the evening. 
The next day I was sooo sore from all that up/down/crawling.
  Hahaha

It is still my goal to finish this backing before February ends. 

Enjoy your stitching,
Linda   











6 comments:

  1. You still have plenty of time to get that backing done before the end of the month-you will make it-I am sure!!!
    I am always changing patterns--esp colors of threads!! I like your flower block--go for it--I am sure I did something different in that block too--as I dont do mushrooms either!!
    have fun--
    luv, di

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am down on the floor working on a quilt, I stay down there a lot longer to see when else needs to be picked up. =) I don't much like crawling around on the floor these days. I like the pretty flowers instead of the mushrooms. How funny your sister prefers the mushrooms. Each to their own, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's a real bummer to still be short 4"s, I would just put a mustard border on the side to make up the 4'...
    I like your little barrow with flowers and also BOTH the mushrooms and sweet flower one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit I prefer your design to the mushrooms, but they are still quite cute. Maria's suggestion of a mustard border is a good one! It is a rather cool looking backing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty block. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty stitchery! I love your bee with the bellflowers - seems to go better with "Generosity," anyway, although I do like mushrooms. Keep the change. :) And yeah - backings for large quilts are a ton of work! Way to go! Love your patchwork for it.

    ReplyDelete