Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Doing the Civil War Block of the Week

Now have you all heard about this blog by Barbara Brackman called Civil War Quilts?  She is putting up a block each Monday to commemorate the 2011 sesquicentennial of the Civil War  (that 150 years)

 
When I first started quilting, years ago, I saw a few quilts made with reproduction Civil War prints.  Ugh!  I didn't like them.  (Yes, I said it,  I didn't like them.)  I liked SPRING and light & bright colors, flower and birds.  Well, who knows what happened along the way, but things have certainly changed for me.  I been going to Barbara's blog these past few months,  I just love all that history, and boy oh boy, she has some interesting stories to share, and finally last weekend I accepted the facts.  I LOVE the blocks, the Civil War prints and wanted to make the blocks along with her. 

I've jumped in with both feet - sort of,  I bought some duller prints or maybe I should say more subdued prints.  I've completed 7 of the blocks.  And what a joy they have been to sew.  I just wanted to let others that might be interested in her blog know about it, whether you are interested in the Block a Week or not, the history on her site is really fascinating.

Here the last 3 blocks I made:

Civil War Block #5


Civil War Block #6

Civil War Block #7

I make a list and I'm only 11 block behind. It may sound like a lot but it's really not. Most the blocks are fairly easy and it's just so much fun. So now the count down begans to stitch the 11 blocks and get caught up.





3 comments:

  1. Wow - I can't even accomplish a block a month, and you're doing a block a WEEK?? I love them though. I'm going to go check out the website. I live in the heart of Civil War country, and can easily find fabric. Maybe I need to make another trip to Gettysburg?? Thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished a civil war quilt for a Guild challenge. I would love to do these blocks and see if I can catch up and do them all. I love her web site and I bought her book. Thanks for
    sharing.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those! I haven't seen it. Though I think I have seen some people blog about it. I guess I didn't fully understand what she was doing until I saw your post. Thanks for 'splaining all of that, Lucy. Really helpful. I will have to check it out. I sure wish I could jump into something else right now, but I think it would send me over the edge. I will have to vicariously follow along, as I am with your Pat Sloan quilt.

    ReplyDelete