Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Making Dull Sewing Fun

As I was reading some blogs this morning, I noticed that others were actually having fun sewing.  I felt like this is not something I can do right now. I would love to - but I have to hem dresses and pants and alter bridesmaid dresses, make shawls and corn hole bags. Sort of fun, but mostly stressful.

But really that's not true!  I need a new attitude.  I need to realize I'm still handling beautiful fabric and stitching with beautiful thread. 


My daughter had a bright idea.  She suggested that I learn to use my rolling hem foot.
 I'm very good at turning under and doing a 1/8 hem.  But she's right I wanted to learn. I watched these YouTube videos on how to use a hem foot.  These ladies were so good I subscribed to their channels.

First I practiced on the scraps leftover from cutting the dress length. It took some practice but I started really getting it down.
I hemmed the lining of my dress last night.  Then realized I didn't have enough of the blue thread to do chiffon top layer of my dress.  (Yes this happens ALL the time. In fact it's just a given now that I'll be running out of thread.  Hahaha) 
So off to Walmart this morning.
I bought Blue and some Natural - I don't want to run out of that either. 

Lily and I went to garage sales on Saturday  
and found these Hello Kitty glasses. 

Then we went and got chocolate milk.  A perfect Saturday!
Now all I need is this Hello Kitty-Chocolate Milk attitude and enjoy my sewing.

Happy Stitching, 
Linda
 (who now has a better attitude and can't wait to finish that dress)

6 comments:

  1. It’s difficult to make stressful sewing fun. I totally understand. Making shop samples was a love/hate part of my job. Now that I have resigned and am taking a break from sewing/quilting I hope it will be fun again when I do go back in my room to sew. The hard work you are doing will be worth it. 😊 I know it’s appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you stressful work will be well worth it when everyone clothes fit beautifully.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a timely reminder to all the rest of us - it's all about the attitude! I think I need some Hello Kitty glasses and some chocolate milk....Lily is absolutely adorable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress is a beautiful blue, Linda. I too wouldn't mind sporting a pair of Hello Kitty glasses. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think, if YOU had some Hello Kitty glasses, all would be well with the world! I've never quite mastered the hemming foot. Maybe I'll play with it over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay to learning a new skill. I love the rolled hem foot - I may need to find one x

    ReplyDelete