Pages

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Eric's Quilt & Need Some Ideas

Yes!  I did it.  I got this quilt sewn and in the mail.

Happy Dance!!
This is not my usual style of quilt (squares and more squares) however, in this case done is better than spectacular.  I'm telling you, the recipient is older and would not live long enough for me to send what I would really like.   I like that this is a lap quilt - the scripture verses should be a joy for him.

Now on to my next project.  

Another panel.  Yikes.  I already know I'm not crazy about panel quilts. 
  This panel is for Rosanna.  She is crazy about the artist, Van Gogh and loves  - The Starry Night.  (the top left picture.)  So when I found this panel I bought it, thinking I would make her a quilt for her bed.

Now I need your help.  Her bed is a Queen - the panel is about 45 x 18. At first I was thinking of cutting brick shape rectangles out of different batiks with black in between the bricks and spreading these pictures around intermittently throughout the bricks.  Now I'm wondering if that's a viable idea. Do I have enough pictures to spread throughout?

Do you have any ideas of what I can do?

Happy Stitching,

Linda, enjoying the triumph of a finished project.

Linking up with

Sew Fresh Quilts


7 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful panel but the different sizes and shapes create a big challenge. I like your idea of using black to separate colors of batiks. You will need some grid paper to plan that out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I can't help. I've bought only a few panels, because I don't know what to do with them. And they're still in a box. I'll be waiting to see what you decide with this, and maybe it will inspire me. My only thought would be to use the pictures only on the part of the bed that is flat, and use wide borders for the part that hangs down. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara is right. Grid paper. It's the best way. Once you have a layout and have chosen the type of blocks to go between them, then start choosing fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Treat the panel parts as if they were the fronts of t-shirts. Lay them out, make spacers and small blocks (4-patch, flying geese). Let creativity rule, not bed size. Maybe add some improv blocks--Van Gogh would've!! A78mandel at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt for Eric. Sorry I can't help with layout ideas for the Van Gogh quilt - I'm not the best at thinking up designs, but I do think grid paper is a good way to plan something out x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lap quilt is an amazing, thoughtful and beautiful gift!!!
    Love the Van Gogh panel. I like the idea of bricks with black - especially if the bricks are different sizes. More of an improv look. I agree about the graph paper wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous finish with Eric's quilt....
    Sorry 😢 can't help with the lovely panel layout but look forward to see what you do...

    ReplyDelete